Wednesday, May 14, 2008

The Loud Laugher

There's this guy that everyone has been talking about at work. They say that they can hear him laugh from across the building. Some people call him the Loud Laugher but seriously, I thought they were overreacting. Every other day I hear another tale of the Loud Laugher disrupting them or not allowing them to concentrate. People are planning desk moves to be moved away from him. Last week, a guy came over and said that the Loud Laugher was reported to Human Resources for laughing too loud.

I thought that this is all absurd! The poor guy is just trying to have a little fun at work. He's not beating people up, he's just laughing!!! How could people be so ridiculous. Besides, I can't hear him, so they must just be over sensitive.

Fast forward to today, actually just about 15 minutes ago. I'm sitting at my desk in my own little world and then I hear it. Not a chuckle but a bellow of a laugh. "Hoooaaahhh, Hoooaaahhh, Hoooaaahhh". It's not an evil laugh, more a very loud Santa Claus like laugh (like the Santa from the movie "The Christmas Story"). It's actually interesting so I follow the laugh. It goes on for about 5 minutes and I reach its source about a football field (American football guys) away from me. When I get there I nonchalantly try to pass by this guys desk so he doesn't realize I was on a laugh quest. But then, as he laughs again I almost shake from the vibration of his voice. This guy's amazing. There must be a trade for this, something he can do to "sell" his laugh. Really, he's taking LOL to a whole other level.

Well, now that I know he does exist. The Loud Laugher is about 100 yards away from me and can make me shiver even at this distance. Now I know what everyone was talking about. But it still makes me sad to say that everyone is being so mean to this jolly guy. Really, there are so many other things they can worry about than this guy laughing. Why do we always have to point out people who are different even if they are different in a good way. Take Matt Brown for instance. He and his mom get kicked out of a movie because he was laughing too loud. The kid was just laughing people! Get over it or go watch your movies at home!

It's becoming an epidemic. Soon they'll have laws on the books stating the highest allowed decibel level of laughter in an office or movie theater. Oh, it could be terrible... then we'd all have to have the "1 foot voice" that my 2nd grade teacher told us about (speak so that only a person 1 ft away from you can hear you).

I think I should buy everyone the book called "Too Loud Lilly". Then they'll realize that they're just being mean and the Loud Laugher is going to be a great ballerina/drama queen one day.

-s

No comments:

Post a Comment