Monday, March 29, 2010

Setting up Plantronics USB Headset on Windows 7

Ok - here goes a semi-technical rant about my USB headset trouble today. Looking for some guidance if anyone knows how to fix this...

On Windows XP on my Dell laptop D600 I had no trouble setting up my Plantronics Audio 470 USB Headset and Microphone. So when I upgraded to Windows 7 and a new Lenovo T400, I figured things would be similar. Stupid me thinking Windows would be consistant at all.

I haven't been able to get the microphone on my headset to work at all. Only the audio works.

  1. No, the microphone isn't muted
  2. Yes, it's plugged in and I've tried other USB ports
  3. I set the microphone as the default in the control panel
  4. My internal laptop microphone does work when set by default but it picks up too much background noise
  5. I've installed and reinstalled and removed and installed the USB drivers for the headset 4 or 5 times
  6. Plantronics was no help
  7. Microsoft was even less of a help
  8. Lenovo had some information but none of the things they suggested work
Anyone have any suggestions?

7 comments:

  1. sorry i dont have windows 7 but you could try calling geek squad. ill try to find out more information for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. did you try a live chat with Plantronics?

    ReplyDelete
  3. yea - the geek squad ... i probably know more than them

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes - did the live chat - they were "great" and directed me to how to change my default microphone in Windows 7. That didn't fix anything and then I had to leave work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. sorry, didnt realize the geek squad was that stupid. umm you could try the live chat again? ive tried multiple times and usually end up finding someone who knows what they are talking about by the 3rd or so time. you have tried everything i would say to try..the reinstalling and trying different ports. do you have another headset you could plug in? maybe your Plantonics headset is broken?

    ReplyDelete
  6. did an error number come up anywhere when you were trying to install the headset?

    ReplyDelete
  7. was your headset made before windows 7 was? maybe it isnt compatible with windows 7? is there any updates avaliable for your headset possibly on the Microsoft website or Plantronics website?...

    ReplyDelete