Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Use of the Term "We"

When you are in a relationship, many of the things that were "I" statements now become "we" statements. For example, instead of "I am going to buy..." it becomes "we are going to buy...". I've found that over time, the "we" sets it self up in a way that it is expected in some sentences and not expected in others. I've also found that the "we" can exist when you're simply living with someone (not in a relationship per say). Example: When you lived with your parents, you
would end up including them in your "we". Or, if you are really close with someone (like a best friend) they would be part of your "we". So to get to the point, the "we" should always be used cautiously because it can both confuse and upset people if it's used in the wrong way.


Now to the story... my husband (J) has a tendency to use the "we" in the wrong place. He does it often enough that I have to have him clarify his "we" each time he uses it. Here is an example of the "we" used in the incorrect manner. He approaches me and says:

"Next Saturday, we are going to the game. We have great seats behind home plate. I've never sat there before, it should be fun. We'll probably want to get there early, around 12 and then we'll leave early to beat the traffic. What do you think?"

Hmmm.. I think he's talking about me and him. Perhaps he's inviting me to the game. Should I ask if I should find a sitter? Well, instead of assuming I'm part of his "we" I will ask.

"Who will be going?"

"Well," he says "It will be Jan, Greg, Chris and me".

"Oh, how many seats do you have?" I ask.

He responds "Like I said, four seats. Jan, Greg, Chris and me."

Ah ha, I think. He didn't include me in his "we" and I was getting all excited to go to the game! I of course point it out to him that he forgot that I'm in his "we" and he can't use his "we" so freely. He almost understands and still asks if
it's okay that he goes and leaves me with the baby. I say "yes" and get
angry that he's taking the "we" so lightly.

Well, the "we" is overused often now, and each time I point it out. "Who is we?" I say. He then clarifies. I'm not sure why I have to ask this question and why he can't just use his "we" in the correct places but maybe I'm not the only one with this "we" problem. If anyone else has the "we" issue, please share your stories!

No comments:

Post a Comment