Sunday, February 7, 2010

12 weeks and counting

The thermometer said it was 27 degrees this morning when I went for a run but as I started out the first mile it felt more like 5 degrees with the wind chill. I set out on my first official training run week 1 of 12, and decided to keep it slow and steady and at least get up to 4 miles. Good strategy I think since my speed training hasn't been so positive the past week. I fell on Thursday and bruised up my right arm, thigh and knee. Not fun at all. I think I've found a slight pattern with my falling though. Most of my runs where I'm prepared (eat, drink, gear, etc.) and not tired, I seem to have no trouble making it through the run without blacking out and falling. However, if one of those items isn't done exactly correctly... I blackout for a second during the run and fall. So, pre-run ritual consists of:
- taking meds (levothyroxine) at least 1 hour before eating
- banana (1/2)
- cereal (low carb, high fiber/protein)
- 24 oz water (before and after run)
- gear on securely (no issues causing me to stop during the run)

I'm writing this down now so I don't forget. :) For my health followers, I have a tilt table test on Tuesday so hopefully that will expose evidence of my syncope and we can move on to treating it. I also have a blood test on Tuesday to check up on my Thyroid and see if there is any evidence of low levels of T3/T4. My TSH is off slightly which can be causing my heart palpitations but not really the dizziness and blacking out. I've gone on a pretty strict diet to help increase my matabolism too since I've gained about 20 lbs since August 2009. Well, in the past 2 weeks I lost 8 lbs and was the biggest loser at work (we have a group playing the game). So, I'm sticking to it.

Back to this mornings' run. It was a really beautiful morning. I ran from home, up to the lake and past into the Southards Pond trail. The trail was quite dry considering we had that "winter blizzard" yesterday that gave us about an inch of snow. As I was running along I saw a guy on a horse. The horse nodded it's head as if to say good morning so I did the same. The water was really clear in both lakes (Argyle and Southards) and both were about 50% frozen. It was a pretty sight and I decided, during this run to commit to the LI 1/2 in May. Yep, although I've been training for about 12 weeks now, I haven't really gone the distance. Now, after this mornings casual run, I got the itch to keep going. So, yes, May 2, 2010 will be my first 1/2 Marathon. I'm committed.

I'll see if I'm this positive next week for my 6 mile run. I'll check back then.

-s

No comments:

Post a Comment