Sunday, May 24, 2009

Memorial Day in Copake




It was a really fun day on Saturday. We went up to Copake to visit Uncle Lou and Glenn. My parents came with us and J's parents, Aunt Cathy and Uncle Doug were there as well. On the drive up we stopped for breakfast at the Putnam Diner. I had chocolate chip pancakes and a hot chocolate (yes, like a little kid). It was great! We then finished our ride up and met everyone at Glenn's house. The house looks awesome as always (and refreshed with the new paint and repairs) and the yard is huge! Great place for Livvy to run around. I can't wait until our yard doesn't have the pool in it so that Livvy can run around and have fun like she did in Copake today. Uncle Lou and Glenn are great hosts, keeping us all hydrated and fed the entire day. We (J, my parents, Livvy and I) first went for a bike ride while the other half of the group went to the tag sales. The bike ride was 8 miles! You'd figure when you get to the end of the first 4 there would be something like a lake or a rest stop... nope! Just turn around and go back 4 miles. Carrying Livvy on the back of my bike isn't the easiest thing... especially uphill. Well, all 5 of us made it back. On the way, J decided to trespass on some farm to ride up, then down a steep hill, twice. We also saw a farm with Alpaca's, a few streams and waterfalls. Next we rested for a bit while Livvy ran around again. Then we hiked to the falls. The hike is supposed to be around 15 minutes but it took more like 30 because we had to take turns pushing Livvy up the bumpy-hilly trail. It was fun but a lot of work. I actually would do it again though! The water was so clear when we got to the falls that I just had to put my feet in. Well, the water was so cold, had to be almost 40 degrees! My feet were numb in about 5 seconds so I didn't spend too much time taking a dip. J however decided to jump in. As you can see from the picture, he also jumped right out. My Dad, J and I decided to cross the river and climb up to the top of the falls while everyone else went back to the cars. The climb was amazing. Really difficult without any climbing gear but there was a guide rail half way up so we were able to use that when we got stuck in a bad spot. When we got to the top we notice that we had climbed a good 50 feet above the start of the falls. There wasn't an easy way to get to where we wanted to but we spend some time up there taking in the sites and trying to do more dangerous stuff. The trip down was easier but much more scary (for me at least) because I had to see how far I could fall if I took the wrong step. Like a good inexperienced climber, I went down frontwards, sliding on my butt a bit instead of actually climbing down. Yea, I'll try better next time. I had fun though! When we finally made it back to the correct side of the river, we realized we had at least a 15 minute walk to the cars. Then we got to the cars and yep, everyone had left us (nice, right?!). So we walked back about 3 miles on a twisty-winding road that had no pedestrian walking area. Then, when we round the corner for the home stretch to the house, my mom pulls up in the truck... yea, nice timing. Well, at least we had a good talk along the way. We're planning a trip to Hawaii for Fall 2010. Let's see if that sticks. The rest of the day was great, relaxing in Glenn's beautiful yard and eating ourselves silly. There was so much food! Of course on the drive home we had to stop at the Red Rooster for ice cream even though we had already had dessert.


Tomorrow we're going to see the Air Show, then to Aunt Pat's BBQ, then Livvy goes to Grandma & Grandpa's while J and I go to Jan's party. Should be great! I'll blog later this weekend to give an update on the rest of our fun. At this point Livvy is sleeping in her cozy bed, J fell asleep on the couch with Sports Center on and I'm still typing away - exhausted. I'm going to sleep!

-s

No comments:

Post a Comment